Washington University School of Medicine faculty members nominate their peers for Distinguished Faculty Awards. The honors are recognition of their colleagues’ wide-ranging achievements, talents and dedication.
The recipients, recognized for excellence in clinical care, community service, research and teaching, received the awards in a ceremony Feb. 26 at the Eric P. Newman Education Center on the Medical Campus.
Last year’s winners of the Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Awards in Medical Student Education also were honored at the event. The Goldstein awards recognize outstanding teaching and commitment to medical education. Recipients were selected by a committee of faculty members.
The newest Distinguished Faculty and Goldstein award recipients are:
Distinguished Clinician Award
- Gerald L. Andriole Jr., MD, the Robert K. Royce Distinguished Professor of Urologic Surgery and director of the Division of Urologic Surgery.
- Michael D. Darcy, MD, professor of radiology and chief of the interventional radiology section.
- Cary Lynn Siegel, MD, professor of radiology and chief of the gastrointestinal/genitourinary fluoroscopy section.
- Matthew D. Smyth, MD, the Appoline Blair Professor of Neorological Surgery, and director of the pediatric radiosurgery program.
Distinguished Community Service
- Ann Marie Dale, PhD, associate professor of medicine and of occupational therapy.
- Joan C. Downey, MD, associate professor of pediatrics.
- Sarah Garwood, MD, associate professor of pediatrics and medical director of The Spot at Jennings High School.
- Sharlene A. Teefey, MD, professor of radiology.
Mentoring of Junior Faculty
- Barbara J. Norton, PhD, professor of physical therapy and of neurology.
Graduate Student Teaching or Mentoring
- Robyn S. Klein, MD, PhD, professor of medicine, of pathology and immunology, and of neuroscience, and vice provost and associate dean for graduate education for the Division of Biology & Biomedical Sciences.
Graduate Medical Education/Residents or Clinical Fellows
- Susan E. Mackinnon, MD, the Sydney M. Shoenberg Jr. and Robert H. Shoenberg Professor of Surgery, and director of the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Postdoctoral Research Mentoring
- Seth A. Eisen, MD, professor of medicine.
- Megan T. Baldridge, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine.
- Samantha A. Morris, PhD, assistant professor of developmental biology and of genetics.
- Michael S. Diamond, MD, PhD, the Herbert S. Gasser Professor of Medicine, a professor of molecular microbiology, and of pathology and immunology.
- Steven E. Petersen, PhD, James S. McDonnell Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience, and a professor of radiology, of neurology and of psychological & brain sciences.
Daniel P. Schuster Award for Distinguished Work in Clinical and Translational Science
- Eric C. Leuthardt, MD, professor of neurological surgery, of neuroscience, and of biomedical engineering and mechanical engineering & materials science.
Samuel R. Goldstein Leadership Awards in Medical Student Education
- Brian T. Edelson, MD, PhD, assistant professor of pathology and immunology.
- Timothy Yau, MD, assistant professor of medicine.
- Andrew J. White, MD, James P. Keating Professor of Pediatrics.
Click photos to enlarge.