Two School of Medicine nurses have received the 2016 Excellence in Nursing Award from St. Louis Magazine. The annual awards honor local nurses who have made a difference in the lives of their patients and colleagues. The award winners were announced in April. They are:
- Brian Torres, a registered nurse anesthetist and assistant program director for the nurse anesthesia program in the Department of Anesthesiology. Torres won top honors in the advanced practice category;
- And Tracey Guthrie, a registered nurse who is director of clinical trials, clinical effectiveness and patient safety, overseeing research for multiple divisions in the Department of Surgery. Guthrie won top honors in the research category and received a perfect score from the award judges.
In addition, six other School of Medicine nurses were finalists in the program, which gave awards in 16 categories. The Washington University finalists were:
- Mindy Brinkhorst, of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery;
- Shannon Clouse, of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery;
- Lindsay Freeman, of the Department of Neurology;
- Maggie Kramper, of the Department of Otolaryngology;
- Mary Stecher, of the Department of Medicine and Siteman Cancer Center-South County;
- And Jenn Ledbetter, of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Sixty-six finalists were selected from more than 200 submissions.
The finalists were evaluated and chosen by a committee that included: Patricia Davidson, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing dean; Ann Cary, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Nursing and Health Studies dean; Karen Drenkard, American Nurses Credentialing Center executive director; Shirley Farrah, University of Missouri-Sinclair School of Nursing assistant dean; Debra Harrison, Mayo Clinic in Florida chief nursing officer; Deborah Trautman, American Association of Colleges of Nursing chief executive officer; and Phyllis Arn Zimmer, Nurse Practitioner Healthcare Foundation president.
Visit this site to read St. Louis Magazine’s story about the award winners.